Baked eggplant slices with tomato, basil and feta cheese
Published on November 12, 2014 | By Not just olive oil |
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 4 organic eggplants
- 1 can of organic whole cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 6 organic potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 1 cup sheep’s milk feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, and 2-3 tbsp. to brush the eggplants
- 2 tbsp. dried mountain-grown oregano
- Sea salt, freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 250°c/480°f.
- 2. Slice the eggplants into ½ inch (1cm) slices.
- 3. Brush eggplant slices with olive oil thoroughly on both sides.
- 4. Place on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- 5. Bake in oven until light brown on both sides. (Do not overcook)
- 6. In the meantime, pour the tomatoes into a pot and simmer over medium heat until slightly thickened.
- 7. Reduce heat and add the olive oil and garlic and cook for another 7 minutes.
- 8. Turn heat off and add the basil, salt and pepper.
- 9. To prepare the potatoes, place in a bowl. Add the lemon juice, 2 tbsp. olive oil, very little salt, black pepper and oregano. Mix thoroughly.
- 10. Remove eggplant slices from cookie sheet and arrange in a shallow baking dish.
- 11. Cover the eggplants with the tomato sauce. Add the potatoes to the baking dish and ¼ cup of water.
- 12. Bake in the oven at 180°c/360f for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are completely cooked.
- 13. Remove from the oven and top with the crumbled feta cheese.
- 14. Enjoy with a large romaine lettuce and green onion salad and large kalamata olives.
- Servings : 4
- Course : Appetizer/starter
- Recipe Type : One pot Wednesday, Vegetarian
- Ingredient : Basil, cherry tomatoes, Eggplants, Feta cheese, Olive oil, Oregano, Potatoes