artichokes can be served raw or cooked. Any way you cook them, they contain large amounts of vitamins A, C, B complex and are an excellent source of calcium and phosphorous and many more incredible health benefits.
Baked artichokes and fresh peas casserole
Published on May 15, 2015 | In Dinner, Lunch | By Not just olive oil |
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 4 fresh artichoke bulbs, cleaned and quartered, (thawed if frozen) browned
- in a pan or grilled in the oven, lightly brushed with olive oil.
- 2 cups fresh peas (do not defrost if frozen)
- 1 large organic onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp organic tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped (or fresh basil) optional
- juice of one lemon (or ½ cup white wine) (or both, why not)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 150°c/300°f
- 2. Heat the olive oil in an oven-proof pan.
- 3. Sauté the fresh peas for 2-3 minutes, until their color brightens.
- 4. Add the chopped onion, continue to sauté until onion softens and turns light brown.
- 5. Add the browned (or grilled) artichoke hearts.
- 6. Stir in the tomato paste until well distributed and continue to cook another 2 – 3 minutes. By this time, the tomato paste may look like it is starting to stick to the bottom of the pan, but …
- 7. Stir in your lemon juice (and/or white wine) all the while scraping the bottom of the pan to lift all the tasty bits into your sauce.
- 8. Add enough water to fill the pan up to 3/4.
- 9. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- 10. Bake in the oven until artichoke hearts are soft and tender, turn artichokes every so often, so they won’t dry out and add water if needed. (about 50-60 mins)
- 11. Remove from oven and allow to slightly cool before serving.
- 12. A chunk of feta cheese can make it extra savory and a baked potato on the side can make this an extra satisfying complete meal.
- Course : Main, Side Dish
- Recipe Type : Dairy-free, Gluten-free, Two burners one heart tuesday, Vegan, Vegetarian
- Ingredient : Artichoke, Lemon, Olive oil, Onion, Peas, Wine